Friday, January 9, 2009

January 9

Washstand bowl and pitcher

white studio shots 028-2

For this shot I thought I'd show the setup and talk about the editing.



This was the set up, just a piece of poster board with the pitcher on it.


And here's the original shot.

The spec's:

1/200
F/-1.8
ISO-100
50mm
w/0 flash
Time 4:30-5:00


In this shot all I did was up the exposure a very little bit and, I upped the clarity to 100%.
And all of that was done in LR.


And then in GIMP I cropped it, and used #19 fuzzy brush in GIMP and dodged all around the object, about six times.
And added my watermark.

Now because the object is white and, I was using a white background I don't want to dodge the background completely white but, I dodged it till it was just almost white.



And lastly I uploaded it back into LR and upped the clarity to 100% again to give more definition to the pitcher.

And that's it!

3 people have spoken:

Unknown said...

Thank you! So it is a bit simpler than I imagined, and great solid background shots don't always have to be taken in an official studio? Here I was, imagining myself plastering white/black sheets all over my room (though that isn't entirely a bad idea...).
I don't quite understand all that is involved (like the camera settings), but I'm sure I can easily find that out by googling it. But I do want to know what LR is.

Did you do essentially the same thing with the mandolin and the "breakfast" picture?

Thanks again, it was such a help.

Brian said...

LR is Light Room, there really isn't a program I know like it.(I did buy that or rather my parents did, for my graduation) Its put out by adobe, the same people that make Photoshop. You can download LR2 for a 30 day trial for free. From their website:
here

You will have to setup an account though.

Yes, its the same set up I use every time. So it is constant.

To answer your other question in the last post. It just depends. Sometimes I need to edit a lot and other times I don't. I don't really know till I've got it up on my computer.

Mimi said...

That water pitcher has never looked sooo good...

I checked out your other blog..Project Pentad and I find it very interesting...with all different photographer styles!!!

and you are all in such good company